Monday 4 May 2009

Training - last week and this week

So last week's plan went quite well - I managed to get two training sessions in on most days, the lonely sessions mainly consisting of running and touch exercises.
Within a fgew days my touch really improved and has started to become quite natural. it feels good to perform a route and realise that you didnt hear anything during it.
I would liked to have done a little more and there was two days where i felt a bit lazy - it's important for me to be honest with myself about this I think.

Had a great session at some old ruins on Wednesday with Omercan - I think my jump distance has actually increased even though ive not been able to take any big jumps or impacts. I've been running and doing loads of squats and isometric strength exercises for my ankles for weeks - hopefully when my confidence comes back and my injuries heal ill be able to really see the benefit.

My bad ankle got a bit of a twinge on thursday, so I'm sticking mainly to Upper body this week, as I did towards the end of last week after it happened.
I'm trying so hard to let these injuries heal and still find ways to improve, work and play every day. it's nae easy!
We also had the first Glasgow Parkour Coaching Team Training session this week. It's going to be a weekly occurance from now - it's great for us all to train together as a group and for each other - our busy and different lifestyles dont permit much time for us all to hang out.

This week's training - 4/5 to 10/5
My first session today went from a quick play into a pretty heavy upper body session - we found this great place to do some lombar traversing and did a few sets. It was sore.....My shoulders are screaming as I type..!

Im going to try and stick to the same rough format as last week - first session of the week is to play, see how my body feels and do some rough planning for my week once i see how I feel.(which went out the window a little today..)

After feeling how my foot feels today today, I think im going to have to go totally cold turkey on the ankle and foot just to let them settle - I got a bit ahead of myself last week I think as it started to feel better, and then jarred my ankle.

Im going to work on upper body conditioning and movements - traversing(all kinds..), muscle-ups, handstands and anything else I can think of. Hopefully i'll get creative with parts of the uni I've not used for upper conditioning before. I can feel that my traps are a bit of a 'weak link' in my muscle chain so loads of handstands and lombar traversing should clean that up.

I'll keep sticking to finishing my sessions with big sets of squats and calf raises(it's all i can do safely!) to maintain and build leg strength and maybe try some running later in the week. Nothing too hard, just enough to keep my level and slowly build it as I wait for my injuries to heal.


and for this whole week - I MUST NOT JUMP.

we shall see how it all goes.

4 comments:

Ian Lyon. said...

Hope this weeks training goes well for you bro.

Might see you at the uni during the week, i'll be down there once or twice working on a few things, mostly rails and foot placement.

Best of luck.

Ian.

TraceurZeno said...

Good to see you so focused and happy with your current style of training.

I cannot wait for your foot and my blooming wrist to get better so we can work on all sorts of routes and movement as a team and as individuals.

Zeno

Mondo said...

dude hope the training comes along well and you work those traps to the max

Sorry to hear that you are injured but i was thinking how you said all you can do is squats and calf raises, mibbe take the calf raises out and get a towel or a resistance band and as if u were in single hamstring stretch, place the band/towel on your toes and extend and flex!

this is alot safer for your ankle than what calf raises are and those place any unwanted stress on the joint

traceurchrisgrant said...

cheers raymond -
yeah i was doing that initially, but my ankle is much further down the road to recovery now so im working on making my calf raises a bit more explosive(as they would be at the last part of a jump when your feet push off) to try and now get the full strength back.
If i feel any pain i stop and revert back to less 'stressful' exercises.

Im doing my best to not to too much too soon!