Tuesday 26 May 2009

The quiet week and this week (18-31/05)

So I almost completely rested up last week, hence the fact that I never posted.
I had some coaching and meetings, and the week before my ankle rehabilitation was going really well, so i decided to rest from pretty much all movement and just focus on doing ankle excercises every day.
On top of that, i've been working on my muscle up progression to build strength - Im doing 110 muscle-ups during a session, and I'm increasing the number of reps in each set - first time i did sets of 3(with dead hang between each one) up to 110 and last week i did it in 5's.

Im going to try and do one of these sessions every week until I can do it in sets of 10. muscle ups are a pretty complete upper body and core exercise, as well as a really essential and useful movement. On top of that I can see the difference in my Climbups.
I would recommend anyone to learn them, and then use them for conditioning.
I had some really magical coaching sessions last week and have been working my warm ups so those feelings of being stuck' are now gone which is great.

This week
I went out today with Omercan adn Zeno and had a play session to see how I felt. My jump is almost 100% back and I think I've got lighter, faster and more powerful with all the focused leg conditioning during my ankle recovery.
I broke a few new jumps today, and got some back that used to be on my limit. They now feel a lot easier which is great.
The session today developed into focusing on routes which use these bigger jumps and powerful movements - all that small route and 'touch' training has really paid off and this week I'm going to focus on transferring that into much longer, bigger and more physically demanding routes.
I'm trying to focus on routes which use my techniques to their capacity distance and powerwise, and try to keep moving without hesitation. This should also be a good test of wether my Cardio has improved.

We shall see...........

3 comments:

Unknown said...

110 muscle ups in a single session? Why? Muscle ups are a power exercise and performing 110 of them in sets of 3 or 5 is the longest way possible I can think of to reach the goal of doing 10 in a single set.

You'd be better off being a bit more thoughtful regarding your training to achieve 10 muscle ups. Perfoming negatives, jumping muscle ups, muscle ups with elevated feet, power pull ups, power dips, weighted pull ups/dips. All these exercises used wisely and conservativley will help you to achieve your goal quicker than doing 110 muscle ups in a session- you simply won't develop the power endurance required pushing yourself in such a manner.

traceurchrisgrant said...

It's not a strict goal - it's a movement i think is very valuable for strength and technique and Id like to see progression everytime I do them. I guess ten is just a nice benchmark.
Also as the sets get larger it starts to work my muscular endurance a little more.

For me doing it like this is working - a few weeks ago I could only do one at a time. Every week I've increased the number of sets and it's working very well for me.

It might be the longest way possible for you, or for what research has said - but it's a very simple guage of progression to be able to do more in each set when I train them once a week. It's working very well for me - if it wasn't I wouldnt be doing it :)

'you simply won't develop the power endurance required pushing yourself in such a manner.'
But I am. It's working, i can see that. The ease that I can perform one muscle up compared to a few weeks ago is amazing. It works for me. I'm not in any rush to get there and this method I'm trying is giving the results I want.
I like to think that all of my training is experiment and that maybe I dont reach the best solution immediately. I;ve tried various other methods for training muscleups before this similair to what you have mentioned - for me this current method is showing the results.

Unknown said...

Fair enough, progression is progression. However I would suggest you be very careful. Performing such a high number of reps of a pwer exercise will result in fatigue quite quickly meaning you'll likely be performing the dip incredibly deep. Without very flexible shoulders you may encounter rotater cuff problems down the line so stretch.... a lot. Good luck.