Monday 11 May 2009

This week - 11/05 to 18/05

Last week's training went relatively close to what i'd planned -
two sessions of training in on most days, a light and a heavy one.
Ed was down visiting from Forres so it was nice to have some company on some of my training sessions which would usually be solo.

This was one of the wettest weeks of training in a long, long time to that affected things a little, but I stuck at it through the torrential rain.

I started the week with some heavy upper body sessions - the wall at charing x, dynos and quadrupedie. i didn't really work on handstands or traversing as I had planned so ill add that in this week.
My focus ended up swaying more towards doing more touch exercises and some little precisions - i almost stuck to my promise of not jumping - i did a few but not too many.
Another good week.

This week
Im starting to get quite stressd about the inflexibility of my injured ankle, so im really going to focus this week on rehabilitation. Im going to go back down to one session a day for most of the week and try to stay off my ankle a lot more as far as doing running, routes, jumps etc. Just have a lighter week overall but really focus on low-impact ankle exercises.

My training is going to consist of balance, quadrupedie and strength and flexibilty excercises. Im going to try and end every session with at least 20 minutes of flexiblity and isometric strength excercises to really really start working the ankle back to where it should be.
It should be better than it is by now, and although I've been strengthening it, I've also been using a lot and that could be detrimental.

On top of that, I'm going to do some more upper work - mainly traversing and handstands as I had intended to last week - it will be good to improve in these areas and also maintain my strength.

I'm also feeling a little bit out of touch with my coaching at the moment - since im not teaching as much just now I feel like I've lost a bit of the natural rhythm and natural feeling of my warm ups - it just doesnt feel easy at the moment and at times im having to thinka bout the next exercise for my class instead of everything shifting smoothly from one to the next.

I'm going to make sure that when I warm up every day I do a solid half hour of what I would do with a class.
I'm going to try and do a different 'style' every day and make sure i push it.I plan to identify the warm-up exercises I've fallen behind on and make sure I get them back to being comfortable and easy.
As a coach I have to feel really comfortable with all my exercises and it's really easy to lose that. I need to make sure i mantain it when i'm not coaching as much as it could effect my work and my students.
It's interesting having this whole other thing to train for and be conscious of other than my own progression.

I'm heading to the uni right now to get started :)

1 comment:

kieraninmotion said...

I can totally empathise with what you are feeling with regards to your coaching. I've been taking class at Thai boxing the last few weeks and varying the warm up while keeping it relevant is certainly much more difficult when you are out of practice.