Monday 6 April 2009

2009. Start as you mean to go on.

This is slightly dated but it should be posted here!

January 01 2009

2009. Start as you mean to go on.



I saw in my new year last night with some old and some new friends. Today I went for a very very long run, on my own. I came home and worked on some paperwork and business stuff for an hour, then hung out with a mate in my shiny new flat.

I think that's going to be my year this year.

I've met some great people this year, but i've been a bit mad stressed and not quite been myself but that's all settled now. I've moved into my new flat, I have my own space and it's calmed me down no-end. So i plan to really get to know some of the crazy people i've been introduced to this year - im going to be spending a night with a certain one this saturday i've not even met in person yet. and im well excited.

I went training on my own today. My focus in 2008 has been so much on improving for my coaching, for my business and for the people who have been kind enough to give me their time in London to help me improve on these things.

This year I'm going to train for myself, and due to the times im coaching I will probably be training on my own a lot. But that's a silver lining i think - every year is a different journey in Parkour. 2008 has been very much about physically improving and understanding and trusting my capabilities and using that to overcome fear.

The end of 08 and this year is going to be about self-discovery. I'm really starting to see that it takes years and years to discover my Parkour. Train for myself, learn to question everything i've learned and look at it all with fresh eyes, so that i can constantly be testing myself. I think this will improve my physicality, my mental fortitude and my discipline. And I think i will truly begin to understand how this art has really become the way i live my life - that should ultimately enrich everything I do.

Then there's my business. Those of you who know me well enough will know it's taken me all year to get my head around the fact that if i dont put time into my work I literally cant afford to live. I answer to no-one which is great, but that also means that there's no-one to pick up the slack when I dont want to spend the day making calls or writing the same risk assessments over and over and convincing another narrowminded P.E teacher that Parkour is safe and beneficial.

I have a hold on all that now, and this year i want to make a conscious effort to separate this from the rest of my life, and not let it consume it. I think the fact that i havent been able to escape my Parkour Coaching has been massively detrimental for my social life, my stress levels and even contributed massively to the end of a relationship that meant the world to me.

I don't regret any of it, this relentless dedication has got me to the stage where im booked up months in advance now, and have about 7 or 8 classes a week for the next 3 months. But now i need to enjoy that in itself and learn to separate it from the rest of my life so that i can enjoy some me-time and also enjoy spending time with others.

Then there's the flat, having a home. It's a pleasure to have my own space after 8 months of living on floors and sofas. For everyone that has accomodated me this year - particularly McNutt and Maz - I am eternally grateful. You guys have looked after me so well this year and I appreciate it so so much.

But now, i can have my own space to invite my own friends round for some chilled nights in and just enjoy my space(and myspace) and my time.

I'm hoping that these simple things can be the basis of my year. I don't want to predict too much. If I plan things out i wont get to enjoy all the surprises and obstacles that life will throw at me.

Bring it on.

1 comment:

kieraninmotion said...

I totally respect that you took the jump and dedicated your life to parkour. It was a bold step that not many people would be able to take, including me. Just keep your head up mate, I'm sure '09 will be a great your for you and your coaching.

Kieran